POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Small superellipsoid values = holes : Re: Small superellipsoid values = holes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:14:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Small superellipsoid values = holes
From: Ken
Date: 25 Sep 2001 08:33:23
Message: <3BB07ABD.CEDD53E@pacbell.net>
Alan Holding wrote:

> POV-Ray for Windows v3.5b4, Windows ME, AMD Athlon 1.33Ghz DDR, 256MB DDR.
>
> The superellipsoid in the scene below has holes in it.  Values above 0.1
> in the north-south exponent seem to remove the holes; the east-west exponent
> doesn't seem to be affected.  I've posted a pic in p.b-t.b.

-------------------------------------
3.4.11  Superquadric Ellipsoid Object

There are a couple of facts about superellipsoids we should know. First,
we should not use a value of 0 for either Value_E nor Value_N. This will
cause POV-Ray to incorrectly make a black box instead of our desired shape.
Second, very small values of Value_E and Value_N may yield strange results
so they should be avoided. Finally, the Sturmian root solver will not work
with superellipsoids.

Any questions ?

--
Ken Tyler - POV-Ray Technical Assistance Group