POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : png gamma error : Re: png gamma error Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: png gamma error
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 24 Sep 2001 08:55:02
Message: <3BAF2D61.12639AF2@engineer.com>
"Jon A. Cruz" wrote:

> I REALLY like the idea that display gamma has no effect whatsoever on the output
> file.

Then what's the the point in specifying and measuring display gamma?

The samples in the file are calculated using assumed_gamma/Display_Gamma
as the exponent. Assumed gamma is best used as a contrast control for
compensating scene lighting conditions (indoors/outdoors/night) and should
not be included in the display gamma information in the image file.

TweakPNG shows that pov sets the gamma header to 1.0 on all pngs. It
should be 1/Display_Gamma as Warp pointed out.

As usual Photoshop does it's own thing and ignores the png gamma :)
I wonder how many applications actually use the png gamma information?

Kari Kivisalo