POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : (Mac) Mesh question : Re: (Mac) Mesh question Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (Mac) Mesh question
From: Tom Stone
Date: 11 Sep 2001 08:46:34
Message: <3B9E0900.76AC3576@telia.com>
Warp wrote:

> It depends on what you want to do.

I want to have people in my scenes with somewhat realistic hands. Look at Gilles
Tran's site for examples.

> it's inclusion in the official release is to
> : provide a practical way for the  average user to use UV-mapped meshes.
>
>   What else would it be?

Exactly. Using, as you suggested, your SDL Raytracer doesn't strike me as a practical
way for me, an agerage user, to use it. Nor do I believe, as you also said, that if I,
a single user, run the SDL Raytracer will suddenly cause Mesh2 to become a standard
format on the Mac platform.

> : If I want to make
> : an image of a man reading a book, then it seems practical if I can use an
> : UV-mapped mesh model of the man.
>
>   Of course you can do that, but you need some way of converting that model
> to a format which POV-Ray can read.

-"I don't have a parachute like you, so I can't jump out of this plane"
-"Of course you can jump like me, as long as you have a parachute."
-"Oh, then we can both jump then?"
-"Yes, of course!"

>   Who said there's no need for a converter? I still don't understand this idea
> of yours.

Cut and paste from an earlier posting of yours:
"Anymore? There has never been any need."

Is it really impossible to add a line in the docs (for example in 9.2.3), saying
something like:

"At the date of this release, there are no known POV converters on the Mac platform"
That's all I'm asking for.

Or, are there any Mac beta testers here that have been able to create and test an UV
mapped Mesh2 object that have been more complicated than a cube?