POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Fisheye camera behavior : Fisheye camera behavior Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  Fisheye camera behavior
From: Ken
Date: 11 Sep 2001 00:33:18
Message: <3B9D94FE.7928A3A0@pacbell.net>
All,

There is some debate going on whether the current implementation of
the fishey and omnimax camera types is correct. The following comes
from a bug report that was submitted quite sometime ago. The basic
question is whether the portal of the image should or should not
touch the sides of the image when rendered in a non one to one
aspect ration. This behavior can be fixed (with the fix supplied
in the original bug report) but we would like to hear your opinions
on the subject.

-----------------
There is code in render.c to scale these cameras according
to the aspect ratio of the camera; for instance

camera {
 fisheye
 location <0,0,0>
 direction z
 right x*1.33 // scale for 4:3 image
 up y
}

If this is run with a 640x480 output image, it should make
a round image, touching the top and bottom, with black
space on left and right. In fact, it makes an elliptical image
which touches the frame edge on all 4 sides. When I say 'should'
I mean that this is how it is coded in render.c, as below, but
it does not work.

Ken Tyler - POV-Ray Technical Assistance Group