POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : getting the table's shadows on the wall : Re: getting the table's shadows on the wall Server Time
5 Sep 2024 06:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: getting the table's shadows on the wall
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 11 Sep 2001 00:10:05
Message: <3B9D8E47.628EE140@videotron.ca>
Wade wrote:

> How do I get the table's shadows on the back wall?  here's my code:

Here's why:

> light_source{
[snip]
>  translate <40,180,40>
> }

> // a round table
> union{
>  translate y*-5.5
>  translate z*-20.5
>  scale <.350,.350,.350>
> }

Since your table's final position is < 0, -3.25, -7.15 > (scale works
about the origin, so your translates  get scaled as well), your light
shines down on it with an angle of ~12 degrees.  Not enough to move the
shadow to the wall.

Here are a few tips.
1 - Place the objects in your scene before starting to work on textures.
2 - Learn the basics before playing with area_lights, warps and
color_maps
3 - Learn how vectors work and their syntax in POV.
4 - Learn how POV handles colors, filter and transmit
THEN: play with a modeller.

I don't want to sound too harsh, but knowing what your modeller does
"under the hood" will not only help you a lot with your scenes, but
you'll also be able to realise that the basic laws still hold:  Walls
aren't transparent.  Walls and ceilings meet.  Floors don't hover.
Lights are inside rooms.  Etc...  Right now, it sure looks like you're
pointing and clicking your way around without knowing what you're doing.

In the off chance that you aren't using a modeller, I'd strongly suggest
you make your room dimensions easier; say 10x10x8.
--
Francois Labreque | Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a snooze
    flabreque     | button on a cat who wants breakfast.