POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : (Mac) Mesh question : Re: (Mac) Mesh question Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (Mac) Mesh question
From: Tom Stone
Date: 10 Sep 2001 22:48:54
Message: <3B9D7CEC.C6FF384@telia.com>
Warp wrote:

>   - You can use a third-party program which has the ability of writing a
> triangle mesh in POV-Ray format.

Ah, good news again. Where can I find it?

Look Warp, I'm very grateful that you have the patience to answer me. Do not doubt
that.
However, it seems like we are constantly talking past each other. That we are
misunderstanding each other on a fundamental level. On a cognitive level, I do
understand that you're trying to help, but I still just get more frustrated and
feel more stupid.
Agreed, that's my problem, not yours.. but yet...

I suspect that we have different definitions on the word "use".
From a programmer's point of view, I guess that everything you say is correct.
Your SDL Raytracer is an excellent proof that we can "use" Mesh2. We could also,
if we all were programmers, write our own Pov-patches to use whatever fileformat
we desire. So, while a programmer can make amazing things with this format, I
still guess that the main reason for it's inclusion in the official release is to
provide a practical way for the  average user to use UV-mapped meshes. Now, I'm
perhaps claiming a too high ranking, but I consider myself to be an average user.

I'm not a programmer, so my definition of the word "use" is different. I "use"
POV-Ray to get a mental image to appear on the computer screen. If I want to make
an image of a man reading a book, then it seems practical if I can use an
UV-mapped mesh model of the man. The documentation seems to imply that I can do
that.

But can I really, as a non-programmer, "use" an UV-mapped mesh model without
buying a PC?

If the POV team has gone through all the trouble of including the Mesh2 format in
the official release, then wouldn't they get happy if as many as possible actually
can use it (including non-programmers)? If no Mac users are able to use this
feature, just because there isn't any converters, then wouldn't it increase the
chances that a developer will make one if it is obvious that a need exists?
What do the POV team gain from pretending that there isn't a need for a Mesh2
converter on the Mac platform?

Since the Faq-part of the documentation already gives links to several third-party
utilities that are platform specific (for both Mac and PC), then why not take it a
tiny step further? Like adding a small list after the FAQ with "Ideas for third
party developers". I'm sure that both Mac and PC developers would find such a list
useful.
Like, a density file is a powerful feature in POV, but I haven't seen many use it.
A df3 editor might change that, so why not say that out front?

Oh well. I've been using POV-Ray since 1996, and I love it dearly. Had I felt
nothing for the program, I wouldn't been causing trouble here and now.

Smellenbergh offered to make a Mac Mesh2 converter.
But it seems like Joe Strout have a head start.
However, it would be nice to have a Mac version of your Mesh compressor.
Perhaps you and the Smellenberghs can discuss a Mac port of it?