POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : (Mac) Mesh question : Re: (Mac) Mesh question Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (Mac) Mesh question
From: Tom Stone
Date: 9 Sep 2001 18:53:02
Message: <3B9BF41C.B5D2A34D@telia.com>
Thomas Lake wrote:

> > In all practical aspects, this feature seems platform specific.

> How can it be platform specific when the file format is a standard?

From a programmers perspective, it might not be platform specific.
But as a user... things are different. That's why I wrote "in all practical
aspects".

And I'm not sure that it is fair to call it a "standard". No Mesh2 file have
ever been
produced on a Mac.
If you give me a yes or no answer on the question "can you use UV mapped
models?",
then I know which platform you're on.

> Now if there was direct
> support for Posers .obj file, which I take is a binary format, that would be
> more platform specific. Please let me know if my understanding is flawed.

As a non-programmer, it is more likely that it is my understanding that is
flawed.
But, I can create a .obj file on the Mac. Also Dxf, 3dmf and a lot of other
formats.
But I can't create a Mesh2 file.

Understand me right. I'm not complaining about the Mesh2 format.
Nor the lack of converters.
I'm just commenting that the documentation seems to imply that
I can use it, when several hours of searching on the Internet reveals
that I can't.
Isn't it a good thing to save people from that kind of frustration?