POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray 3.5 Scenes : Re: POV-Ray 3.5 Scenes Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.5 Scenes
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 7 Sep 2001 16:58:43
Message: <3B993584.7F50A3AF@inapg.inra.fr>
David Buck wrote:

> Let's show what POV-Ray can really do.

The paradox is that our collective demand for really nice stuff is so high
that it's getting hard to make artistic images (of the wow! kind at least)
that can still fit in a regular Povray distribution, have acceptable
hardware requirements and render in acceptable times. For instance, I tried
to make a simple sunset-over-water image for "advanced" but while the
results were good I stopped working on it because the ridged multifractal
water would have made it impossibly slow for many users. Complex radiosity
scenes are also a problem : the two rad images in the "blocks" directory
already require more than 100 Mb of RAM to render at good quality.
Another example is the abyss.pov image : it looks better when the area light
is turned on but then the render time takes off.

One possible way, however, would be at least to "touch up" the present
scenes so that they look better but I don't know about the possible
copyright problems.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com