POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Very minor feature request : Re: Very minor feature request Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:30:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very minor feature request
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 6 Sep 2001 22:33:03
Message: <3B983291.B0B04B65@unforgettable.com>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <3B96F6EA.FFC4994B@unforgettable.com> , Xplo Eristotle
> <inq### [at] unforgettablecom>  wrote:
>
> > I know that feature requests are typically rejected, but it's only a
> > small addition to the interface.. could we get a keyboard shortcut for
> > the Save As... command? (I refer to the Mac version; other versions may
> > or may not already have that functionality.)
>
> You are aware that "Save as" in no (good) Mac application* has a keyboard
> shortcut?  Thus, sorry, it won't be added.
>
>     Thorsten
>
> *  There are reasons as described in the Apple HIG behind not having
> shortcuts for "Save as", but I don't want to get into a discussion about
> those.

Excuse me, but I can find nothing in the HIG that suggests this, either
specifically or in the form of general design policy, except for a note
at the end of the section on keyboard equivalents where the HIG says,
"Don't assign keyboard equivalents for infrequently used menu commands.
Add keyboard equivalents only for the commands your users employ most
frequently," and since I do, in fact, use "Save As..." frequently (in
order to preserve earlier or alternate versions of my scenes), I don't
see how this applies.

If you're going to use the HIG to explain why a common interface
convention that makes the software more convenient should *not* be
included, I'd like to know what part of it says so, if it's not too much trouble.

-Xplo