POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Grime example : Re: Grime example [100kbu] Server Time
17 Aug 2024 18:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grime example [100kbu]
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 6 Sep 2001 04:08:21
Message: <3B972EE0.98C8D420@atosorigin.com>
Daniel Matthews wrote:

> This image, (not done in POV!!) is close to what I am trying to learn how
> to achieve in POV, or even in a POVMan shader.
>
> The top grid is spherical mapped (2x4) onto a sphere as a displacement.
> The grime is derived from the disp map combined with a high-pass filtered
> image of the surface's normals post displacement.
> i.e. it is 2 pass. The grime map is used to blend between 2 maps, a clean
> copper and an oxidized one.
>
> Would anyone like to take the displacement map and try to do one of these
> standard grime balls, using POV or MPOV?

Done with my personal patched version of pov.
It took me 4 days to get the picture mapping on the sphere as your initial
image. I found it rather horrible : on the top of the sphere, there is 4 half
rectangular picture squeezed. But at least, it reproduce your picture.

I may post the image_mapping function if there is interest.

The displacement was made using Warps' tesselation of a sphere with my
current patch in progress... Thanks to you, I have found that I should
optimise it more.

No image map (other than for the displacement) was used. The texture would
need some works, it's just an onion pattern.

Bad things: it's just a mesh. and the displacement suffered from the low
resolution as well as the jpeg original...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'orig.jpg' (99 KB)

Preview of image 'orig.jpg'