POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT] : Re: Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT] Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT]
From: Adrien Beau
Date: 3 Sep 2001 04:01:05
Message: <3B9338CE.C8CAAD19@sycomore.fr>
Steve wrote:

> >Once it has finished loading, that is. But I guess every EMACS user
> >has a 1 GHz proc, 1 GB mem and 100 MB/sec harddrive, so it doesn't
> >matter too much.
>
> Not so, I only have a 266 with 224 M RAM, and don't find emacs a drain.

I hope so! If EMACS really needed so much power in order to just run
aceptably, Vi users wouldn't dare to laugh at its size and slowness.
It would really be impolite.

> Sometimes when I've had the same large file open for about five days or
> more emacs can get a bit sluggish, but closing it and opening it again
> solves the problem.   I'm not even sure that this is an emacs problem,
> it could well be Netscape, as when this problem occurs I tend to shut
> all open windows and restart X.

A memory leak somewhere. Odds are it's Netscape's fault rather
than EMACS's.

--
Adrien Beau - adr### [at] freefr - http://adrien.beau.free.fr
 Mes propos n'engagent que moi et en aucun cas mes employeurs