POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT] : Re: Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT] Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT]
From: Adrien Beau
Date: 31 Aug 2001 05:35:38
Message: <3B8F5A76.FDDBC0C4@sycomore.fr>
Ole Laursen wrote:

> So let us reply: from the POV of a VI user, Emacs is of course so much
> more user-friendly that it must seem like a WYSIWYG system. I mean,
> with Emacs you can actually edit documents [1].

Once it has finished loading, that is. But I guess every EMACS user
has a 1 GHz proc, 1 GB mem and 100 MB/sec harddrive, so it doesn't
matter too much.

> AFAIK the only thing
> VI can do is playing music with the built-in speaker, see
>
>   http://www.dina.dk/~abraham/religion/vi-music

Mmmm, this can be improved. I'll do a plugin to interface to
TiMidity, one day. After all, Vim is Vi Improved.

> However, introducing such derogative terms as "WYSIWYG" in this forum
> is of course only to be frowned upon. Tsk, tsk. This just shows us the
> mental level VI users in general have reached. (I mean, give your
> 5-year-old child a computer to 10.000 bucks, and he will throw it out
> and play with the case instead.)

Which lets me play with the rest (CPU, RAM, disk). Fine.

> [1] This is, of course, only the least part of what The only True
> Editor is capable of. As Per Abrahamsen once said (more or less), an
> "editor" is the term for everything that isn't part of the OS.

And for Vim, the OS is everything that is not part of the editor.

--
Adrien Beau - adr### [at] freefr - http://adrien.beau.free.fr
 Mes propos n'engagent que moi et en aucun cas mes employeurs