POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT] : Re: Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT] Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT]
From: Adrien Beau
Date: 30 Aug 2001 12:37:15
Message: <3B8E6BC4.CCD54774@sycomore.fr>
Warp wrote:

>   Emacs supports all that and more.
>
>   I don't know how vi editors are configured/programmed, but as Emacs is
> an elisp interpreter, you can do almost anything using elisp. This is, in
> fact, how most of emacs features have been implemented (eg. autoindentation,
> keyword coloring and so on).

There is a hot debate about wether or not to include a full-blown
scripting engine into Vim.

Right now, Vim is mostly C, though it has a minimal scripting
language which, combined with an intelligent file structure on
disk, makes such things as "plugins" available in Vim 6. A file
explorer has been done this way.

Apart from that, most customizations come through powerful
mappings, and by interfacing with the system if needed
(e.g. to edit files through FTP).

>   Some examples of things that I have done with elisp in order to make emacs
> to work more like I like it are:
>
> [several nice customizations]

All this is can also be done in Vim. Some are already there
(scrolling), the others can be quickly done in a mapping.

I think we all have our favorite features, and could list
them day and night long. If only because I discover new
tricks every day or so.

Suffice to say that I don't think one is better than the other.
The way things are done varies greatly, but what counts is the
result.

--
Adrien Beau - adr### [at] freefr - http://adrien.beau.free.fr
 Mes propos n'engagent que moi et en aucun cas mes employeurs