POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : a plugin for using Pov to render scenes in any 3d program !!! : Re: a plugin for using Pov to render scenes in any 3d program !!! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:29:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a plugin for using Pov to render scenes in any 3d program !!!
From: Ken
Date: 29 Aug 2001 23:25:56
Message: <3B8DB305.5029EE0E@pacbell.net>
ahmet oktar wrote:

> yes i read povlegal.doc and i did'nt see about this. I don't any
> modification on pov only i want to use with a 3d prog. like max or maya for
> rendering

Do you want to model in Max and render with POV-Ray?

or

Do you want to model in POV-Ray and render with Max?

If you want to model in Max and render with POV-Ray you are going
to have some problems. First your plugin will have to automatically
convert the native geometery and texture in Max to a format that
POV-Ray can understand and then do an API call to get POV-Ray to
render it. This will not be an easy thing to do but it is possible.
There is an example of how to write the API call included with the
Windows POV-Ray source code. How to do the geometry and texture
conversions is an exersize left to you to figure out.

If you want to model in POV-Ray and render in max then you have
some serious problems ahead. POV-Ray objects are mathematical
representations. To convert POV-Ray objects to something that
Max would understand would require a front end parser with the
same power and flexibility as POV-Ray has and you would have
to add the ability to tesselate mathematical constructs on the
fly. This is not something even an experienced programmer would
seriously consider doing while sober.

Probably the best possible solution is the one that everyone uses
now and that is to export from Max to .3ds, convert the file with
a thrid party utility like 3DWin, and then render the converted
scene file with POV-Ray after textures have been added.

There currently is no way to go from POV-Ray to Max.

--
Ken Tyler