POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Skinning tutorials : Re: Skinning tutorials Server Time
8 Jul 2024 09:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Skinning tutorials
From: Axe
Date: 29 Aug 2001 16:14:30
Message: <3B8D4E06.6E585302@nettaxi.com>
Anoop Kumar wrote:

> Sorry to hear about that. But I'd have thought that doing
> this would be a
> snip in something like AC3D (can save in pov format) or

Well, the AC3D site didn't want to load when I went to it, but I'll
check it out again later.

> Anim8or (saves in 3ds format which you can convert to pov
> using 3dwin.

Well, that's what I did with a couple of .3ds models that did have
maps.  Unfortunately, they didn't translate too well. :`(

Maybe it was because I was outputting to udo/inc, I'll try putting
straight out to pov and see what happens.

> Thanks. Had come across it myself quite some time back but
> had tucked it in a corner & forgotten about it. Should come
> in useful now as I dig deeper into povray.

That's what I used as a base to figure it all out.

> That's (the model) nice work for a beginner (??).

Hehe, I wish I could take credit for it.  It's a .3ds I found that I
converted with 3dto3d to .udo/.inc.  At the moment homer's my "test
subject".

> (And there's no reason
> that the map should move when you move the object if you
> have uvmapped it)

Not in the MeagPov sense, no.  I put it on basically the same way as the
tute I posted the URL for.  Looks ok from the front, and he does rotate
and move in any way, but I've still got to tweak things a little :)

> Incidentally, I suppose you know about the
> mesh (3ds/obj, I think) import plugin by Enzmann. AFAIK you
> can use it to import meshes which can be used in CSG.

Nope, didn't know about that :)

> Also this might interest you:
> http://www1.sphere.ne.jp/mizno/ : Metasequioa which has some
> very nice features. Also it can be used with Hamapatch which
> does very nice organic/sketch-design work.

Nice one, thanks.  I just downloaded Hamapatch, so I'll check that out.

> Regards,
> -Anoop

Take care,
John
--
Chaynez's Anole & Gecko Website and home of The Anole Webring
See the LizardCams Live! -------> http://ph33r.dyndns.org <--