POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Where have all the POVers gone? : Re: Where have all the POVers gone? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 13:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where have all the POVers gone?
From: Dearmad
Date: 26 Aug 2001 18:15:36
Message: <3B897694.91D42271@qwest.net>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> John VanSickle wrote:
>
> > 13 entries this round.
> > 4 use POV-Ray.
> > 1 uses Blender.
> > The other eight all use some $$$ renderer.
> > What gives?
>
> First, I'm highly suspicious that I have often been competing against
> portfolio dumps  of pre-existing material from professional teams using
> some $$$ renderer.

Huh... I never felt this at all.  Even the animation
which in my opinion had the best overall character
animation and story of all for IRTC doesn't strike me
as being done by a group of pros.  As for the $$$
renderer- it just doesn't make much diff to me- being
experienced with POV/POLYray and now using AM for my
stuff, I know that the tool set doesn't assure the
final product by any means.

> Second, I think that the judging tends to favor camera pans through
> exhaustively boring and exhaustively photorealistic scenes that tell no

I know my judging doesn't.  And the winning results
don't seem to support this.

> story. Better to tell absoluely no story at all than give the readers
> something that requires some thinking.

I vote heavily in favor of story and narrative combined
with a unified artistic vision.

> Of course there are exceptions like Rusty, which is an icon, an epic of
> IRTC.
>
> These two claims are just sour-grapes from an opinionated old fart, but
> this does make me feel less likely to invest my time in an IRTC
> creation. I don't mean to disparage the winners but these are some of
> the reaons I've been reluctant to participate.

That's too bad.  But what do you mean you don't want to
disparage the winners... in going over the past winners
for the entire contest a significant portion are POV
entries.  I'd suggest you concentrate on a good
narrative, a cohesive effort, and supportive visuals
and enter again- *I* (for one judge) WILL reward such
entries with high scores.

-peter

--
http://www.users.qwest.net/~dearmad