POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 64 bit or 32 bit? : Re: 64 bit or 32 bit? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64 bit or 32 bit?
From: Markus Becker
Date: 15 Aug 2001 08:24:42
Message: <3B7A6A2E.BE4E4E60@aicoss.de>
[also replying to warp]

Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> > What is common agreement?
>
> You did check out the link, didn't you?  For an "official" summary you may
> want to read <http://www.opengroup.org/public/tech/aspen/aspenf.htm>.  To me
> this sounds like a common agreement, doesn't it?

This is indeed common agreement. In the unix world. This has
nothing to do with any standards regarding C and/or C++.

The only thing that is (cross-platform) guaranteed is:

sizeof(char)<=sizeof(short)<=sizeof(int)<=sizeof(long)

and

sizeof(char)==1

Decide for your self what this can mean. And I have heard
that in the Wintel world (wich also has a 64 Bit architecture
available) ints remain 32 bit. This is also common agreement.
And, as I take it, the same as in the unix world. But it
is not guaranteed.

> I was talking about 64 bit architectures!

I forgot that eg. Alpha is 64 bit.

Markus