POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: Active Stargate : Re: WIP: Active Stargate Server Time
17 Aug 2024 22:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP: Active Stargate
From: Steven Pigeon
Date: 14 Aug 2001 01:52:41
Message: <3B78BCF2.B857D1A9@iro.umontreal.ca>
ken wrote:

> It's been some time since I viewed the move, but I think the gate had a
> little more red or yellow to its color.

Nah. It's a grayish, greenish, blueish kind of steel color.

> Right now it looks like a very
> big car tire.

Ouch, that hurts! :-) I have to work one the finish to include the
veining and the wear-&-tear of a million years old artefact.

> I think the ripples in the gate proper should sort of
> radiate from the middle, but I can't recall how they looked in the film.

In the movie, it look'd like a pool with a 500 watt spot in it... which
it most probably was. In the series the horizon is CGIed, and it looks
pretty much like that. Due to artistic licence, it is sometimes almost
transparent, sometimes it shines but is opaque, sometimes is reflects.
I hope this isn't going to degenerate to a trekky kind of argument
about the geometry of the warp bubble for speeds above warp 7.5 :-)
I should use media for atmosphere and have the rays of light shine
in the dust or something.

Best,

    S.

Steven Pigeon                     Ph. D. Student.
University of Montreal.
pig### [at] iroumontrealca           Topic: data compression
         http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pigeon

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mb11.jpg' (36 KB)