POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Photographic compression (50k) : Re: Photographic compression (50k) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 04:15:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photographic compression (50k)
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 13 Aug 2001 18:17:03
Message: <3B785287.36E72AE8@pp.htv.fi>
Andy Cocker wrote:

> Are the two 'before' images you linked to really transformed into these
> gorgeous images by post-processing?

Correct. That is the unmodified pov output, only 24bit because
that's jpg limitation.

> Is your process equivalent to both the
> compression and expansion techniques used in audio production...
> compressing  the peaks whilst making the softer passages 'louder'?

That's it. I just apply one transfer curve to the whole image.

> Infact, could I impose upon you and ask you to
> provide a sample scene/tutorial?

These were just tests to see if this can be done with povray. It seems
to work but as always there's a cost. Longer rendering time because
higher quality aa and maybe radiosity are required. I'm building a
more normal scene to test with textures and all and if that looks as
good as I hope then I will write a page about it. Currently it doesn't
seem to work with a more complex scene because there is still some
parameter in radiosity that's dependand on absolute scale of the scene :(

I think that currently Photoshop is the only editor that can apply
histogram and curve adjustments to 48 bit images while displaying
gamma corrected result in real time.

> I have often wished for the ability to say Lightbulb(60) or equivalent,
> and have the scene behave as much like the real world as posible,

Radiance can do this far better than pov and can even simulate how person
would see a scene. The compression is just a simple way to mimic how a
photograph of a scene might look like.

The problem with light sources is their radiation
pattern. Simple light bulbs and fluorcesent tubes pov can handle but
as soon as they are put inside a fixture with reflecting, diffusing
and translucent surfaces things get so complicated that it's just
better to guess how it would distribute the light and use spot_light(s)
for it. Indoor radiosity scenes are sensitive to the total energy
output from a light source so I'm trying to find way to relate
the spot_light parameters to the imaginary 100W bulb inside this
virtual spotlight. This would allow the scene builder to say:
This is a 100W light source and I'm going to use this spot_light(s)
to approximate it's radiation pattern. When there is only one light
source the strength can be chosen at will but when there are several
sources their relative strenghts are important.

Kari Kivisalo