POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : P2P Render Farm - POV-Ray/JXTA : Re: P2P Render Farm - POV-Ray/JXTA Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:32:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: P2P Render Farm - POV-Ray/JXTA
From: Tom Dengler
Date: 12 Aug 2001 13:49:10
Message: <3B76BF5D.B4FCB96D@bellatlantic.net>
gimi wrote:

> Tom Dengler wrote:
> > Jxta is a p2p protocol (www.jxta.org).
>
> never heard of that. how do you pronounce that? :)
jucks tah  (as in juxtapose)

> i have a similar project, just in case you want to compare
> it with yours.. that one does the job in perl and povdos
> on a tcp/ip network; i use a somewhat xml-ish message
> syntax to pass files around.
> gimi
>
> --
> http://www.psico.ch/
> povray remote render server:
> http://www.psico.ch/prs.shtml

I took a quick look.  I don't know perl well enough to see how it
compares?  I started with a base of the povray3.1g and the pvm patch.
The pvm patch allows a frame render to be split into 32x32 pixel
blocks.  These blocks are the basis of distributetion.

I would guess that the major difference would be that the pvm model is
standardized, and the pvm patch has a bit of history to it.  This
history presumes some level of prior user debugging.
The jxta layer would bring a 'standardized' protocol to the table, but
probably more importantly, the ability to self-discover peer machines
that are participating in the rendering process.  In a way of
comparison, Napster/Gnutella is a p2p network facilitating the
search/discovery of mp3 files; a jxta-povray would facilitate the
search/discovery of rendering resources.

tom