POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : P2P Render Farm - POV-Ray/JXTA : Re: P2P Render Farm - POV-Ray/JXTA Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:29:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: P2P Render Farm - POV-Ray/JXTA
From: gimi
Date: 12 Aug 2001 01:10:15
Message: <3B760F32.8E6EE9DD@psico.ch>
hi

Tom Dengler wrote:

> Hi,
> I have started some work on converting the PVM patched POV-Ray over to
> jxta.
> Jxta is a p2p protocol (www.jxta.org).

never heard of that. how do you pronounce that? :)

> Following the basic pvm structure that is in the pvm patch:
> My thought is that a group of slave peers can join a farm, retrieve
> rendering assignments, and post the results back to the farm.  A Master,
> joins the farm, posts work assignments, and retrieves results.
>
> My main work with jxta is involved with jxtaSpaces, a distributed shared
> memory service which creates a distributed tuple-space (similiar to
> javaSpaces, Linda, ...).  POV_Ray seemed like a good demonstration use
> of that concept. (jxtaspaces.jxta.org)
>
> I was wondering:
> (1) is there any interest on this list in this project
> (2) any volunteers to help test/criticize/suggest/B&Moan/...

(1) yes
(2) yes

i have a similar project, just in case you want to compare
it with yours.. that one does the job in perl and povdos
on a tcp/ip network; i use a somewhat xml-ish message
syntax to pass files around.
 - see my .sig, there you'll find it.

i will have a look at this jxta stuff first - after i'll
had some sleep :) - but keep me informed, please!

gimi

--
http://www.psico.ch/
povray remote render server: