POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : P2P Render Farm - POV-Ray/JXTA : P2P Render Farm - POV-Ray/JXTA Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:35:28 EDT (-0400)
  P2P Render Farm - POV-Ray/JXTA
From: Tom Dengler
Date: 11 Aug 2001 15:55:53
Message: <3B758B94.8956EF2F@bellatlantic.net>
Hi,
I have started some work on converting the PVM patched POV-Ray over to
jxta.
Jxta is a p2p protocol (www.jxta.org).

Following the basic pvm structure that is in the pvm patch:
My thought is that a group of slave peers can join a farm, retrieve
rendering assignments, and post the results back to the farm.  A Master,
joins the farm, posts work assignments, and retrieves results.

My main work with jxta is involved with jxtaSpaces, a distributed shared
memory service which creates a distributed tuple-space (similiar to
javaSpaces, Linda, ...).  POV_Ray seemed like a good demonstration use
of that concept. (jxtaspaces.jxta.org)

I was wondering:
(1) is there any interest on this list in this project
(2) any volunteers to help test/criticize/suggest/B&Moan/...

Comments:
The current jxta platform is java based.
The current jxta platform is extremely beta.
I am about 75% finished with a proof of concept (aka hack) that uses
java/C communication emulating the pvm patch.

tom dengler