POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Photographic compression (50k) : Re: Photographic compression (50k) Server Time
17 Aug 2024 22:17:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photographic compression (50k)
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 10 Aug 2001 11:56:33
Message: <3B7404D9.D78EFE48@pp.htv.fi>
ingo wrote:

> So what you are doing is "gamma adjustment the hard way", but with more
> control over the result?

It's the engineer's approach. I tested with gamma corrected range limited
output and the compression can be done also after gamma correction but
I had to iterate some time to get it right because the gamma changes
the shape of the compression curve. When black and white tresholds
are used it will be even more complicated. In general the order of non
linear operations can't be reversed but this is about faking a certain
look anyway so it's the final result that counts. I tried it before
but without experience of the whole process the results weren't good.
Now I can find more economical way to make it work.

Kari Kivisalo