POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 64 bit or 32 bit? : Re: 64 bit or 32 bit? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64 bit or 32 bit?
From: Markus Becker
Date: 7 Aug 2001 10:11:41
Message: <3B6FF732.E94C5F53@aicoss.de>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> BTW, I am not sure if you aware of it, but C/C++ "int" should always be 32
> bit and "long" should always be 64 in current implementations by common
> agreement.

What is common agreement? That my ints are 32 bit _and_ my longs
are 32 bit (and I guess so are yours). I still have to see an
implementation (on common machines, i.e. Linux/Windows/Apple,...)
that has 64 bit longs (apart from __int64 and the like).

> An implementation that uses 64 bit "int" types is not very
> common to say the least.  For a full reference (not the ultimate one, but
> the one that I could find in 10 seconds), see
> <http://www.opengroup.org/public/tech/aspen/lp64_wp.htm>

If the machine architecture is 64 bits, then integers will be
exactly that (and stay equal in size to longs, as they are
on todays 32 bit platforms).

Markus