POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : New Site + Rad slowdown : Re: New Site + Rad slowdown Server Time
18 Aug 2024 06:11:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Site + Rad slowdown
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 31 Jul 2001 05:23:48
Message: <3B667994.71B114D5@gmx.de>
Thomas Lake wrote:

> Yes I've noticed that text objects are very slow, why is that? I guess I
> could improve the speed by importing text meshes from Rhino, amazing that
> complex meshes would actually be faster than native text objects.

Sure they are and no matter how detailed the mesh is, the text object is
more precise.  Of course you usually don't need that high accuracy.

> I noticed
> that the slowdown was uniform, that is it did not slow down significantly
> while rendering the text objects but was even slow while rendering the
> blanks white spaces, could this be the result of the ior,rad problem?

With both radiosity and reflection/refraction, the speed of rendering an
object is also influenced by the environment.  This should be fairly
obvious since the purpose of radiosity is calculating the effect of the
different objects in the scene on lighting.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>