POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : YMPRF final (~110k) : Re: YMPRF final (~110k) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 06:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YMPRF final (~110k)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 26 Jul 2001 10:33:34
Message: <3B602A33.40307AE7@ignorancia.org>

> Of course it's faster, but is it better?  It would be really nice to see
> some samples for comparison.

  Well, at least the increased time seems to not justify the little
quality added. I don't want to show my current entry now, but at the end
of the round I will post both versions.

> I always find this kind of 'dirt' quite confusing and unnatural. NTL, if
> you have a nice example showing this effect i would be eager to see it.

  I've substracted both images and the difference is not really visible.
I had to highly  increase bright and contrast on the differenced image
to see which zones changed. At the eye, the only visible difference is
the behavoir of layered textures. With pretrace=1 it seems more like
without radiosity, while with the recommended setting the layers seems
to "blend" (obviously that must happen bcos more rays come trough,
isn't?), making the texture strange. Perhaps the problem is that we must
create the layered textures thinking on the later use of radiosity...

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org/