POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : YMPRF final (~110k) : Re: YMPRF final (~110k) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 06:16:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YMPRF final (~110k)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 26 Jul 2001 09:42:44
Message: <3B601EC0.7D3DA222@gmx.de>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

>   But, if so, how Gilles radiosity scenes look so nice? I my self tried
> just now pretrace start and end to 1 with my current irtc entry, and the
> result is a 30% faster than with the recommended settings.

Of course it's faster, but is it better?  It would be really nice to see
some samples for comparison.

There is also the opposite approach BTW:
low pretrace_end, always_sample off and using save_file / load_file.

> And,
> strangely, the result seems to be more "natural" although it has some
> artifacts. Perhaps for "dirty" scenes it adds some irregularity that
> looks better to our "anti-perfectly-clean" minds. In any case, I would
> stick to 1 at least for that concrete scene, cause it renders faster and
> the result looks slightly better.

I always find this kind of 'dirt' quite confusing and unnatural. NTL, if
you have a nice example showing this effect i would be eager to see it.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>