POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : YMPRF final (~110k) : Re: YMPRF final (~110k) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 06:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YMPRF final (~110k)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 26 Jul 2001 03:07:31
Message: <3B5FC21F.DF935776@gmx.de>
Thomas Lake wrote:

> Hmm this is an interesting discusion, I've been wondering what these
> settings really do, the pov docs arn't much help here. I'll have to do some
> testing to see how different settings affect different images, but I'm not
> going to play with this image any more.

In general lower pretrace_end leads to better quality, but very often
1/image_width is more than necessary.  It should correspond to
error_bound, there meaning a lower error_bound should have a lower
pretrace_end.

Some suggested values are:

error_bound 3  => pretrace_end 0.08
error_bound 1  => pretrace_end 0.02
error_bound <1 => pretrace_end 0.01

but they only give a rough idea, for low error_bounds you will probably
have to try what leads to the best quality/speed ratio.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>