POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Why I still dualboot : Re: Why I still dualboot Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I still dualboot
From: Adrien Beau
Date: 17 Jul 2001 10:59:51
Message: <3B5452E0.CD013DA5@sycomore.fr>
"Mark M. Wilson" wrote:

> Adrien Beau wrote:
> >
> > What kind of difference? Completely different, or some
> > colors changing a bit?
>
> Completely different color sets -- the one started from the menu for
> instance uses yellow (against a white background) [...]

Ok, I've tested it, I can easily reproduce your problem.
It hurts the eyes!  8-(

Like I said, it's your "background" option that gets
set the wrong way. Vim has not many ways to guess
wether it is a light or dark background. It certainly
uses environment variables to check that, so the other
person was also right.

But hunting and changing the environment variables
can be a hassle. Adding the following line in your
.gvimrc will do the trick:

	set background=light

So when you fire gvim, you will get the "good" color
settings (dark colors for a light background).
When you fire vim, it will still try to guess
the background tone. You can add the line in
your .vimrc if you prefer, but the next time you
run vim in a terminal, you might be surprised by
dark colors on a dark background... :-)

And BTW, here's how to change the background
setting while running vim (your changes will
not be saved, this is a quick-fix trick)

	:syntax off
	:set background=light    (or dark)
	:syntax on

You will lose any custom color choice you had
made (e.g. in your .gvimrc) and get the Vim
default colors. Vim 6 will correct this problem.

Have a nice vacation! Full of rays, of course!

--
Adrien Beau - adr### [at] freefr - http://adrien.beau.free.fr
 Mes propos n'engagent que moi et en aucun cas mes employeurs