POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Why I still dualboot : Re: Why I still dualboot Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I still dualboot
From: Mark M  Wilson
Date: 17 Jul 2001 09:07:41
Message: <3B5439EA.C75E9083@ncsl.dcr.state.nc.us>
Adrien Beau wrote:

> What kind of difference? Completely different, or some
> colors changing a bit?

Completely different color sets -- the one started from the menu for
instance uses yellow (against a white background) for commands like
rotate & translate.  Too hard for these aging eyes to see!  So needless
to say, I try and start from a term. window.

> It might be due to the 'background' option. Type
>
>         :set background?
>
> and see if it has the same values from the GUI menu and
> from the xterm.

Will do. (when I get back from the beach, so it may be awhile...)
Someone else thought it might have to do with some environment variable
somewhere, but he didn't venture a guess.

> > What IS pov.vim?
>
> It is the file responsible for POV syntax highlighting.

I figured as much.

> It lists the keywords and lots of other rules to highlight numbers, strings,
> directives and such. It is written in "Vim script", that explains
> the .vim extension. See the "syntax" subdirectory in
> /usr/share/vim/vim5.x (or wherever Libranet put it).
>
> Most syntax files are made by users. The "old" pov.vim (vim 5.7
> and earlier) had a basic, quickly-made POV syntax file. The "new"
> pov.vim (vim 5.8 and later) seems to be better. I had began my
> own syntax file but have stopped it when the "new" one was
> released. I might rework on it though, because I think mine is
> a bit better... :-)
>
> And as I said, you're not obliged to upgrade your whole gvim
> package. The Vim site has somewhere a list of all syntax files,
> and you can download an up-to-date pov.vim there (well, I hope
> so).

Thanks very much! This may help solve my syntax color discrepancy.  I'll
investigate all this later when I get back from vacation!
--Mark