POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Slackware 8.0 : Re: Slackware 8.0 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slackware 8.0
From: Adrien Beau
Date: 17 Jul 2001 05:05:34
Message: <3B53FFD8.429A9B98@sycomore.fr>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

> > Yes.  The trick is that with Mac OS you setup everything before the install,
> > not during it.  I find it very annoying to have to sit next to a computer
> > for an hour just to press a button every once in a while.
>
>   Latest Linux installtions are not this way. With RH 6.2, [...]

As for Slackware 8.0, you have two "interactive" parts in the install.
The installation setup part (partitions, which packages to install,
etc.), after which the packages are copied to the disk (and you can
go take a break, then). Then the distro setup part, where you
configure network, mouse, etc.

Anyway, you'll probably reboot after that and continue tweaking your
freshly installed distro, so I don't think that the two "interactive"
parts are a nuisance. The second part simply never ends, it's called
"day-to-day usage".  :-)

Copying the whole distro can take some 30 minutes (it of course
only depends of your hardware). The interactive part can be done
quickly if you know what you want.

--
Adrien Beau - adr### [at] freefr - http://adrien.beau.free.fr
 Mes propos n'engagent que moi et en aucun cas mes employeurs