POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Translucency shader test : Translucency shader test Server Time
18 Aug 2024 02:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Translucency shader test
From: Abe
Date: 10 Jul 2001 20:09:11
Message: <3B4B985D.7B4E526C@taconic.net>
I asked once about rendering translucency with pov or at least
simulating it.
I got some replies, among which was "try writing a shader" - I was
dreading that.

Well, I finally got up the nerve - and you know, it was kinda fun!
(regardless of the outcome). Here is the result of my first whack at it,
applied to some leaves. The approach is heuristic and not very robust.
The shader in its present state would probably get me banned from CG
circles for committing such atrocities to code.

Anyway, there are two views; one with, and one without translucency.
Light source is roughly 80 degrees to the left of the direction of view.

Abe

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'leaftest1.jpg' (74 KB) Download 'leaftest2.jpg' (66 KB)

Preview of image 'leaftest1.jpg'
leaftest1.jpg

Preview of image 'leaftest2.jpg'
leaftest2.jpg