POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux Kernel 2.4.6 has been released. : Re: Linux Kernel 2.4.6 has been released. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux Kernel 2.4.6 has been released.
From: Adrien Beau
Date: 10 Jul 2001 04:31:23
Message: <3B4ABD63.3242F48E@sycomore.fr>
Peter Popov wrote:

> Slack did something utterly stupid. They released Slackware 8.0 to the
> public before the mirror sites got it.

As Margus noted, there's always a Slashdotter hanging around
every FTP sites and that notifies the world as soon as something
happen.

The correct thing to do would have been to build the ISO on
another computer (Pat's ADSL box?) and give it to some mirrors
from that location, or, more easily done, put up a separate
FTP holding just the ISO, without anonymous access, so that
only authorized mirrors could get it.

But I think Pat was too tired to do anything else than
"upload the ISOs - post announcement - go to bed".

--
Adrien Beau - adr### [at] freefr - http://adrien.beau.free.fr
 Mes propos n'engagent que moi et en aucun cas mes employeurs