POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux Kernel 2.4.6 has been released. : Re: Linux Kernel 2.4.6 has been released. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:35:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux Kernel 2.4.6 has been released.
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 9 Jul 2001 18:56:55
Message: <3B4A0C7C.E53A9563@peak.edu.ee>
Adrien Beau wrote:

> I'm impressed to see lots of people rushing to use ReiserFS
> to store their data, while there still are known bugs into
> it! Using an instable program to do some calculus, or some
> games is fine for me, but storing data unreliably... Wow.

Yes, that is over the line for me - even though I otherwise have little
qualms over using beta software, including kernels. If the filesystem is
screwed, I'm screwed (what is that "backup" thing people keep talking
about?)
I did try building kernel 2.4.6 with gcc 3.0 BTW, but the result was
decidedly not stable. Looks like I'll have to switch back to 2.96 for
now; no biggie really, frankly I haven't seen *that* huge performance
leaps from using 3.0

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee