POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Semiconductor Splendor : Re: Semiconductor Splendor Server Time
18 Aug 2024 04:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Semiconductor Splendor
From: David Fontaine
Date: 6 Jul 2001 19:19:58
Message: <3B4645CB.D92667F2@faricy.net>
Simon Lemieux wrote:

> A non-polar molecule
> would be something like Benzene C6H6  A ring of 6 Carbon atom all of them binded
> to one Hydrogen atom, there is no point where the electron density is higher or
> lower so (at least in french) we say it has no Poles, and thus it is a non-polar
> molecule.

But wouldn't the atoms still have slightly different fields than in a
state by themselves because of the difference in electronegativity?
There isn't really a line between non-polar, polar and ionic, chemists
just say that delta-electronegativity from 0.0 to some number (0.7
IIRC?) is a "non-polar" bond, etc.  Unless I misunderstand what you're
saying.  Do you mean in the sense that benzene is non-polar by its
geometry as well?