POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wimshurst machine (WIP) : Re: Wimshurst machine (WIP) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 08:25:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wimshurst machine (WIP)
From: John Williamson
Date: 2 Jul 2001 15:13:11
Message: <3B40C7B1.EA7EB791@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Hi,

Thankyou to everyone who provided comments on this image. I'm adjusting
the model right now to take into account the improvements suggested by
everybody. I particularly like the idea of having a plaque on the
machine. This is delaying the render of the machine in it's full
sparking glory even further :)

However, on the point of the textures, I think I'm getting rather more
credit than I deserve - I'm afraid to say that the wood textures are not
procedural - they just use image maps :(
I gave up on procedural textures after I couldn't obtain satifactory
results. If anyone is still interested, both a description of how I
obtained the maps and the texture with the image/bump maps is appended
below.

The wood texture was obtained by searching auction pages for images of
antique furniture, so  obtaining a detail of a small teak table. I
copied a section of the wood texure and adjusted it to tile neatly in
Photoshop. I then "dyed" copies of it to get appropriate colors for both
the machine and the table. Copying this, desaturating and adjusting the
curves gave the grain bump map.

--John

[note that the images attatched are jpeg; they were originally 256 color
pngs]

#declare RealWood =
   material  // RealWood
   {
      texture
      {
         pigment
         {
            image_map
            {
               png   "hardwood.png"
            }

         }
         normal
         {
            bump_map
            {
               png   "hardbump.png"
            }
            bump_size 1.0
         }
         finish
         {
            ambient 0.0
            diffuse 0.690633
            brilliance 2.03
            phong 0.791367
            phong_size 105.692
            specular 0.187033
            reflection 0.071933
         }
         scale  0.5
         rotate -90.0 * z
      }
   }

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'hardbump.jpg' (29 KB) Download 'hardwood.jpg' (26 KB)

Preview of image 'hardbump.jpg'
hardbump.jpg

Preview of image 'hardwood.jpg'
hardwood.jpg