POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : white spots on *ALL* raytracers : Re: white spots on *ALL* raytracers Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:25:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: white spots on *ALL* raytracers
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 2 Jul 2001 04:01:05
Message: <3B402A4A.487FA77A@ignorancia.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Do you experience crashes with other programs as well? It might be
> some problem with broken memory or similar.

  No, pov and all "pov-based" raytracers are the only. But I don't use
the machine for much more... I tried some fractal generators and other
complex software, but all of them work correctly. And it is not the
memory, it's the
first thing I replaced.

Steve wrote:
> When you view these images through a windows image viewer do the white spots
> still appear.

  He he.. :) I've tested even that! The images *DO* have the spots. The
spots are really "badly caltulated" rays, IMHO, bcos if I use
antialiasing, they get antialiased!!! I don't know where to look now...
just upgraded RH6.2 with all the latest relevant packages (including
latest kernel for i686 and glibc), and it is still here. The next step
is to upgrade gcc to a version handling athlon specifics, and recompile
pov (and perhaps also glibc) only to see if it is something about the
cpu or...

Peter Popov wrote:
> Or the coprocessor.

 Yes! I think it is something to do with the copro. After reading
thousands of technical reports and messages that I barely understand, I
think there are some differences on how P-III and Athlon manage FPU
exceptions. So perhaps compiling pov specifically for the athlon can be
the solution (i'm supposing that my coprocessor is not damaged, bcos the
same pov code works on windows). I will keep you informed (I'm planning
to create a page on my site with my "athlon experience").

 Thanks to all for the suggestions!

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia