POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : bezier patch problem : Re: bezier patch problem Server Time
18 Aug 2024 04:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bezier patch problem
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 25 Jun 2001 09:58:54
Message: <3B3743FF.7A37D8D3@gmx.de>
Reusser wrote:

> I tried many things such as blobs, cylinders, and meshes, but the joints
> got very ugly with blobs where there were three or four intersecting
> cylinders all starting from slightly different places.  If you look by the
> pedals on a bike, there are about five tubes that all affect each other but
> start from different spots.  There are also a couple of bent tubes on a
> bike such as the fork and the spot in the back where the down tubes
> diverge.  Those aren't possible with blobs.

I wouldn't say that, bent tubes could be easily done with a lot of
spherical components.  Also several cylinders joining in one point are no
problem, but it would be quite difficult to do this with patches.

Attached it the following:

blob
{
  threshold 0.5
  cylinder { -z, z, 0.3, 1 }
  cylinder { x*0.3, x, 0.3, 1 }
  sturm
}

Using megapov's isosurface/isoblob object could be even more flexible, but
also more difficult to handle.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>