POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Semiconductor Splendor : Re: Semiconductor Splendor Server Time
18 Aug 2024 04:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Semiconductor Splendor
From: Simon Lemieux
Date: 24 Jun 2001 15:59:29
Message: <3B364875.AF50E047@yahoo.com>
"Bob H." wrote:

> Don't know if I interprete the image right at all but it looks like there's
> a large imbalance of electrons between the atoms and yet perhaps it almost
> equals out overall (if the entire thing seen).
> In other words, the brown atoms show little to no electrons and the light
> gray ones have a high density of them.  A possibly mostly positive charge
> then with electrons ready to jump around?
> It's what I see anyway.  Just to make an untrained observation.

This shows that the substance is Polar. Which means there is some place where
you could bind atoms to form a new molecule.  A good example of Polar molecule
is water (H2O, the electrons are pulled by the 2 Hydrogen atoms and bindings can
then be easily be done with the uncovered Oxygen atom.  A non-polar molecule
would be something like Benzene C6H6  A ring of 6 Carbon atom all of them binded
to one Hydrogen atom, there is no point where the electron density is higher or
lower so (at least in french) we say it has no Poles, and thus it is a non-polar
molecule.

But this silicon molecule shows a very intruiging kind of polarity!

--
--
 Simon Lemieux  (lem### [at] yahoocom)