POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Geodesic Take two 124K : Re: WIP Geodesic Take two 124K Server Time
18 Aug 2024 04:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP Geodesic Take two 124K
From: Dan Johnson
Date: 23 Jun 2001 08:30:44
Message: <3B348C48.83AA4B8@hotmail.com>
Bill DeWitt wrote:

>     I was playing with geodesics last week... what does your setup do?

The basic function takes three points two define a spherical triangle.
Then it divides each of the sides evenly by a number you specify, and
stores them in a two dimensional array.

|\
x-x
|\|\
x-x-x
|\|\|\
x-x-x-x
|\|\|\|\
x-x-x-x-x

The x's are points in the array, and the lines represent how a function
might access the array to find the points of a triangle or edges.  I use
lots of little functions.  One to find points, one to store them in an
array, one to find edges.  I only generate 1/20 of the sphere, and then
rotate it to complete the job.  It also builds an octahedron -
tetrahedron spaceframe onto the group of triangles.  My translation
functions should be able to handle struts other than cylinders
appropriately, so I am trying to think about what I want to replace them
with.
--
Dan Johnson

http://www.geocities.com/zapob