POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB) : Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 13:25:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 17 Jun 2001 14:03:40
Message: <3B2CF13A.1C56B95E@gmx.de>
Rune wrote:

> [...]
>
> The new algorithm works the same way except that if the algorithm loop is
> run more than once, then for each loop the ray is traced not from the
> OldLocation but from the collision point from the loop before. That works
> fairly well, but not perfect.
>
> Perhaps one reason for the occasional errors could be that a ray
> accidentally hits exactly between two triangles of the heightfield?

I must admit that your method seems rather strange, but without knowing
the 'surrounding' parts of the algorithm, i can't say much.  Maybe try
moving upwards rather than in direction of the normal vector, this should
be save for heightfields.  Furthermore an additional 'trace()' from
'OldLocation' to 'OldLocation_rotated' could avoid this "getting below the
surface"

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>