POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB) : Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 07:14:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 17 Jun 2001 06:45:27
Message: <3B2C8A92.ECBAF273@gmx.de>
Rune wrote:

> In the last animation there were actually a huge amount of particle falling
> through the surface of the heightfield but it was not visible because of the
> camera view from above.
>
> I thought a lot about the problem and analyzed possible causes in my head,
> then came up with a better flowing algorithm. Luckily it worked! Now only
> about 0.3% of the particles fall through the surface.

I wonder why they fall through at all, a simple test whether the particle
is inside the heightfield object should help.

> This animation does not have any more particles than the last (about 2000
> particles), but this time I've used 6 blob elements for each particle, one
> big and 5 small surrounding it. However, while the last animation was too
> blobby, this one is perhaps not quite blobby enough. I think I should have
> used slightly larger particles. It may also be caused by the fact that I
> didn't use pseudo motion blur this time, so I tried to compensate by using
> real motion blur using an external program.
>
> I also improved the heightfield, changed the camera view, textures and so
> on.

It looks really good, the water seems - a bit like particles of course :-)

What i especially like is the first part when the water reaches the
heightfield and bounces back.  To me it seems it works best on the steeper
parts where the water is mostly falling rather than flowing.

> I'm wondering if the animation is too slow? I tried to compile it a double
> speed and it looked equally nice, but I decided to use the slow version
> because I'm going for the look of a large-scale simulation.

It looks ok here.

> The animation took 5.5 hours to render on a 1000 GHz machine. I turned
> statistics off, but as far as I could see more than half of the time were
> spend parsing (the particle system is not particularly fast).

1000 GHz - wow! ;-)

Can you save the data generated so things are faster in a second run?

BTW, when will you show us some code for these?

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>