POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : blender : Re: blender Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blender
From: Simon Lemieux
Date: 12 Jun 2001 00:47:37
Message: <3B25A064.46BDE19F@yahoo.com>
Francois Labreque wrote:

> Simon Lemieux wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >   I just came upon blender, which is supposed to use POV-Ray's render engine and
> > have a modeller look...
>
> Blender is (as of two weeks ago) a full-fledged scanline renderer/game
> development engine, not a POV-Ray front end.

Yes, sorry, I have become mistaken over the years...

> > Well, it seems very complicated
>
> The interface can be challenging, and rendering realistic scenes can be
> a hair-pulling experience compared to the simplicity of POV, especially
> when dealing with global illumination and reflections, but some artists
> are doing pretty good stuff with it.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the efforts, I believe it all depends on me...
I just gave it a little try and oh well...  I guess it'll take a long time until
I master this thing, I'm not sure if I have the patience...

> > and maybe you know of an easier modeller that
> > could also do all POV-Ray can, that could use my 3D acceleration for the preview
> > and that would run on Linux?
>
> Check www.povray.co.uk for a link to a KDE modeler for POV.  It's still
> wearing diapers at the moment, but it looks promising.

I just checked this out, seems promising, although I have some cold shivers with
the thought of KDE being used for this...

> > Or if you know of a good documentation for using blender?
> >

> There are some tutorials available, follow the links on the web site.

Indeed, I was playing with some tutorial explaining how to build a very simple
castle...

Thanks,
  Simon

--