POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : blender : Re: blender Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blender
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 11 Jun 2001 20:50:09
Message: <3B256731.3AFCCABC@videotron.ca>
Simon Lemieux wrote:

> Hi,
>   I just came upon blender, which is supposed to use POV-Ray's render engine and
> have a modeller look...

Blender is (as of two weeks ago) a full-fledged scanline renderer/game
development engine, not a POV-Ray front end.

> Well, it seems very complicated

The interface can be challenging, and rendering realistic scenes can be
a hair-pulling experience compared to the simplicity of POV, especially
when dealing with global illumination and reflections, but some artists
are doing pretty good stuff with it.

> and maybe you know of an easier modeller that
> could also do all POV-Ray can, that could use my 3D acceleration for the preview
> and that would run on Linux?

Check www.povray.co.uk for a link to a KDE modeler for POV.  It's still
wearing diapers at the moment, but it looks promising.

> Or if you know of a good documentation for using blender?

There are some tutorials available, follow the links on the web site.

--
Francois Labreque | It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it
    flabreque     | is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
                  | motion.
                               - Stolen from Badger's .sig file