POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ilthanalg colonist ship - area light problem (JPG, 28 KB) : Re: Ilthanalg colonist ship - area light problem (JPG, 28 KB) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 06:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ilthanalg colonist ship - area light problem (JPG, 28 KB)
From: Yadgar
Date: 9 Jun 2001 06:52:46
Message: <3B2200DF.B10D830A@ndh.net>
"Bob H." schrieb:

> Has a coincident surface look to it, tried a regular point source yet?  Then
> again, looking closer, the wall surface seems to have a normal applied, too
> small scale and deep perhaps if so.
> The door near the light on the right doesn't have a window or portal or
> whatever that is.  Misplaced object possibly?
> Anyway, if the area light dimensions come into contact with a object surface
> that might not be such a good thing anyway, although I can't recall it being
> a problem myself.  At least not if used as a looks_like.
> Makes me wonder if it could be the 1,4 array with a x for width the 1 might
> be confusing the ray tracer if in contact with a surface.  But the looks of
> this rendering overall sure has that coincident surface appearance, noting
> the flooring and ceiling parts are likewise speckled.
>
> Bob H.

Hi Tracers!

"Bob H." schrieb:

> Has a coincident surface look to it, tried a regular point source yet?

Yes, meanwhile, see attachment! But the only change I see is that the shadows
in the dim upper floor are less differentiated, whereas the spottiness remains!

>  Then
> again, looking closer, the wall surface seems to have a normal applied, too
> small scale and deep perhaps if so.

Yes, it has a normal, but its bump_size is quite small, i. e. 0.075, so this
can't account for the spottiness!

> The door near the light on the right doesn't have a window or portal or
> whatever that is.

No, the small round door windows have variable transparency and phong (I'm
already considering animations...), so I set up an array containing the
transparency and phong values for each door window on the respective floor,
they are meant to change within 3 seconds (= 45 frames) from full opacity to
full transparency and vice versa.

> Misplaced object possibly?
> Anyway, if the area light dimensions come into contact with a object surface
> that might not be such a good thing anyway, although I can't recall it being
> a problem myself.  At least not if used as a looks_like.

That was a problem I encountered before; originally, the centers of the
cylindrical lamp bodies were placed at a radius of 5 from the center of the
whole cylindrical habitation module, while the inner surface of the round wall
also was at 5 (i. e. a cylinder with radius 5 cut from an originally 5.1
cylinder - the remaining wall is 0.1 units thick). But then the image got
completely messed up with bizarre coincident surfaces effects, so then I placed

the lamp bodies instead at 4.99.

You should know that the from whole lamp body a large box is subtracted to
prevent it from peeking out of the outer side of the round wall (its radius is
0.15, while the wall is only 0.1 thick). As I did that only after I added caps
and belts, I assigned no texture to the box... could THAT be the reason??

I just looked up the code again and found that the box goes from z=0.01 to
z=0.2... with the center of this slightly-more-than-half-cylinder at 4.99, its
cut side is still in direct contact with the wall. Now I changed the z value of

the box' lower left front corner to 0.001 and started again...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'spaceship_corridor_point_lights.jpg' (20 KB)

Preview of image 'spaceship_corridor_point_lights.jpg'
spaceship_corridor_point_lights.jpg