POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : crackle: suggested extensions : Re: crackle: suggested extensions Server Time
1 Sep 2024 12:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: crackle: suggested extensions
From: Anton Sherwood
Date: 16 May 2001 01:39:23
Message: <3B0212C5.11228917@pobox.com>

Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Ohhh!
> And how did you do them?

Mesh pyramids, randomly placed, variously pigmented: gradient z
for "color", slope for "normal", rgb <rand()...> for "solid".
finish { ambient 1 }
camera { orthographic }

> I really wonder if the actual implementation would look the same...

I'd expect some difference because I only rotated the pyramids on z --
and because I've no idea how crackle places the nuclei.

... Meanwhile, another idea: if (dx,dy,dz) were replaced with
(dx+dy,dx+dz,dy+dz), the `crystal' would be a rhombic dodecahedron.
Maybe I can get Grimbert interested. ;)

Is there a "So You Want To Patch Povray" faq somewhere?

--
Anton Sherwood  --  br0### [at] p0b0xcom  --  http://ogre.nu/