POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strata (tiling) [14 x ~5k = 59Kbu) : Re: Strata (tiling) [14 x ~5k = 59Kbu) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 12:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strata (tiling) [14 x ~5k = 59Kbu)
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 14 May 2001 03:05:44
Message: <3AFF8438.58640061@atosorigin.com>
Anton Sherwood wrote:

> > So here are 14 tiling, My only problem is that I have no good name
> > for them, so if you want to suggest any name, you're welcome.
>
> Why did you include "03", which is merely a sheared form of "00"?

Well, just because it use a lozenge instead of a square. It may have an
impact on the joint (And moreover, I do not know how to make a shear).

> Some have standard symbols:
> 00      4^4
> 01      6^3
> 02      3^6
> 06      4.8^2
> 07      3^3.4^2
> 08      3.6.3.6 = (3.6)^2

Do you have any reference ?
I found some naming for regular and repeating VERTEX:
00 is 4.4.4.4
01 is 6.6.6
02 is 3.3.3.3.3.3
06 is 8.8.4
and so on.

There seems to be no convention on what the ordering should be :
 8.8.4 can also be 4.8.8

But evenm more there is some other regular and repeating vertex which are
problematic:
the 6.3.3.3.3 can be either left-handed or right-handed.
(Ok, it's the only one, and it's not yet implemented in my code, but it does not
help
to have a meaningfull naming :-).

Last point, I thing the "." as well as "^" are illegal for token in the pov
parser,
so at best, it may be replaced with "_"

Anyway, this naming scheme would only cover part of the problem.

> 04 is known to quilters as Baby Blocks.
> 09 is similar to the existing "bricks" pattern.

No, the bricks is a 3D pattern, with some 'amusing' (not) effects in the third
dimension.
These new patterns are only 2D : the third dimension is always ignored :->.