POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : I'm disappointed with speed of my sun compilation :-( : Re: I'm disappointed with speed of my sun compilation :-( Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm disappointed with speed of my sun compilation :-(
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 11 May 2001 01:58:01
Message: <3AFB7FD4.B2400CA6@atosorigin.com>
Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba wrote:

> time for compaq - 0m57s
> time for sun - 5m34s
>
> any idea why sun version is so slow ?

Size of memory on Sun ? (swap ?)
Running X11/Openview ?
Running unneeded network daemon (NFS server/client) ?
Running/Writing/Reading on a remote partition ?
Processor performing Floating-Point by software ?
Not enough FPU per processor ? (1 is not enough...)
Options of gcc (-03 does not perform ALL the optimisations)
Bad optimisations by gcc ?
Different CPU speed ? (what's the frequency of the sun ?)