POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Iso-equation query : Re: Iso-equation query Server Time
1 Sep 2024 12:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iso-equation query
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 4 May 2001 08:48:53
Message: <3AF2A40F.7E249429@videotron.ca>
Tom Melly wrote:

> In a book I'm reading, there is a nice 3d shape which the book says is the
> result of the equation:
>
> x^3 + y^3 = 1
>
> However, it comments "x and y are regarded as complex variables".
>
> What does a complex variable mean in this context

A complex variable is a variable that holds a a number that has the form
"a + bi", where i is an imaginary number defined as sqrt(-1).

> and what would be the
> iso-surface function for the above?

I could be wrong, but I don't think isos work with complex numbers and
since both x and y are two-dimensional values, it makes the function
describe a 4D shape, which I know isos don't understand.

--
Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
    flabreque     | terrestrial intelligence is that they never