POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strata (tiling) [14 x ~5k = 59Kbu) : Re: Strata (tiling) [14 x ~5k = 59Kbu) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 12:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strata (tiling) [14 x ~5k = 59Kbu)
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 30 Apr 2001 03:44:49
Message: <3AED1842.3006E2C1@atosorigin.com>
Sander wrote:

> In article <3AEAFB4F.281DC591@free.fr>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=E9r=F4me?=
> Grimbert says...
> > So here are 14 tiling, My only problem is that I have no good name for
> > them, so if you want to suggest any name, you're welcome.
> > I have still 6 others to do before going back into lurk mode again,
> > waiting quietly for the 3.5...
>
> This looks very useful, where did you place the code :~) I could use it
> very well and it could teach me a thing or 2...

I will release the code when I've finished the 6 others
(now, only 5 to still go) and when I have decent names for them
(currently, the names are in french, and are too undescriptive
[such as 'carrelage_carre_rectangle' or 'carrelage_6_3'];
the only worst naming I could have would be "something_1","something_2",
"something_3" and so on.

Vahur Krouverk wrote:
> I'll take risk too for getting blamed and ask: how about other,
> not-so-regular shapes? Have you seen this paper?
> http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/csk/tile/escherization.html
> Hopfully this will not allow you to be in quiet mode and lurk! And we
> will enjoy fruits of your work;-)

I was only going to make some 'classical' tiling, with regular convex shapes
(such as triangles, square, hexagon, dodecagon).
I will probably add the L shape tiling ( only in 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4) that start
your suggested paper and the pentagon+lozenge found on another one.
So thanks you, there is now 9 tiling to finish before the code became
available... :-)